New Bins For New Birders (NB4NB)
The Goal of NB4NB
Partnering with DVOC’s World Series of Birding Team’s corporate sponsor, Nikon Sport Optics, NB4NB is committed to supplying new, serviceable binoculars to organizations that expose young people to birding and the outdoors. We focus on those organizations that are local to the Delaware Valley Region: southeastern Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey, and Delaware.
This initiative was begun in 2004 when DVOC’s World Series of Birding (WSB) team, the Nikon / DVOC Lagerhead Shrikes were fortunate enough to once again take the first place in the competition. The team members were personally awarded new spotting scopes and tripods as the top prize. All of the team members already owned fine scopes and tripods, and so it was decided to do some good with the prizes. The scopes and tripods were sold and a significant amount of cash was quickly raised for the NB4NB initiative.
The initial funding of this program came from the sale of the spotting scopes and tripods that the team won in the 2004 World Series of Birding. Further funds are necessary to continue the program. We have a number of different funding options, including outside donations, direct financial support by DVOC, and matching donation programs instituted by the recipients to tap the generosity of their own members. Any person wishing to make a contribution to this initiative (no matter how large or how small should contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Who Should Apply for a NB4NB Grant
Any organization that is involved in educating children about birds, birding, and our natural world.
What to expect from a NB4NB Grant
The program provides new, high quality Nikon binoculars for use on field trips and outings.
How To Apply for a NB4NB Grant
The application is an easy, informal process. Simply send a written request to the NB4NB Committee on your organization’s letterhead, and provide us the following information:
- Contact person and information, including e-mail and phone
- Description of youth programs that would use the binoculars
- Ages of children to use the binoculars
- Number of pairs desired
Requests should be mailed to:
Delaware Valley Ornithological Club
c/o Academy of Natural Sciences
Attn: NB4NB Committee
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103
The NB4NB committee will review your request and get back to you as soon as possible.
Recipients of NB4NB Grants
- Rancocas Nature Center in Mount Holly, NJ. Their youth programs include the Tiny Tots World Series of Birding. (five 7×35 Nikon Action Extreme binoculars and five 7×21 Nikon Naturalist binoculars)
- Episcopal Academy’s 7th and 8th grade birding elective – (eight 7×35 Nikon Action Extreme binoculars)
Click here to see this grant in use.
- Pennsylvania Audubon’s East Park Reservoir Youth Birding Program (fifteen 7×21 Nikon Naturalist binoculars) Click here to see this grant in use.
- PA Young Birders organization. Eight pairs of 7×35 Action binoculars.
- The Environmental Center at Milton Hershey School in Hershey, PA . Eight pairs of 7×35 Action binoculars.
- Boy Scout Troop 109 in Bryn Mawr, PA. Five pairs of 7×35 Action Binoculars and five pairs of 8×40 Action Binoculars. Click Here to see this grant in use.
- Cobbs Creek Environmental Center in Philadelphia, PA. 10 pairs of 8×40 Nikon Action binoculars and 6 pairs of 7×35 Nikon Action binoculars.
- Radnor Middle School. Five pairs of 8×40 Nikon Actions Binoculars and five pairs of 7×35 Nikon Actions Binoculars.
Chris Walters – Chairperson
Help Support NB4NB
You can quickly and easily make a donation using PayPal. Click the “Donate” button below to do this. If you have a Paypal Account please log in. If you do not, use the “Don’t have a PayPal account?” section in the lower left hand corner of the page that appears after you click the “Donate” button below.
If you would rather write a check, please contact the Treasurer at email@example.com